Monday, March 31, 2008

Maybe I can have a life now!

I'm sorry I haven't posted for so long (again), between finishing assignments and covering Fanette's job plus mine while she was on holidays in Zanzibar I thought I was going to lose my mind, I don't think I have ever been as tired in my entire life as I have been in the past few weeks...plus I was sick with some nasty GI bug for a couple of days, and as usual when I get stressed I don't sleep...I looked at myself in the mirror one morning and I didn't even recognize my myself, I looked like an 85-year old!! My hair is falling out (probably because of the antimalarials but stress and fatigue don't help) in hunks, and the bags under my eyes are enormous...but as of Friday the assignments are in, Fanette's replacement is here and I actually got some rest this weekend (I had time and energy to read a book, what a treat!) and I am starting to feel like a human being again. Probably won't last long but I'm enjoying it for now. I got a shipment of trashy magazines from Eric so am catching up on celebrity gossip, I am so glad I found out all of the details about Nicole Ritchie's baby and how she has lost the pregancy weight so quickly, I can't believe I've been missing out on all of this exciting news!!

I thought I'd try to post some pictures if the internet cooperates....



"Charlie's Angels" of Budalangi, the night before Fanette and Isabelle left...I'm VERY sad to see them leave, we have been a great team and enjoyed each other's company so much...






Welcome to rainy season...don't ask me how this happened, but we spent a good hour watching them try to get out by rocking forwards and backwards one inch at a time...







of course this was blocking our route home so we had to take a different way and this is what happened....thank goodness for winches....


we had an audience......

The internet is not working well so no more pictures for tonight...

My new colleague Esther is from Germany, 54, and has worked all over East and Central Africa for many years as a nurse, administrator, and educator. She was in Rwanda during the genocide and has absolutely horrific stories about it. She worked for many years in Congo, trying to improve health systems (a very difficult challenge in a country where doctors are paid $5 a month). She is VERY German, Ya, ve vant to vork now! She is a bit stubborn and not nearly as much fun as Isabelle and Fanette but we get along fine and she works very hard (a bit obsessed with organization, Ya, ve MUST be ORGANIZE-D"!!). She and I are sharing the coordination of the IRS campaign and she is taking over Isabelle's position as the Clinical Coordinator.

I'll try to put up more photos tomorrow or later this week!

No comments: